Welcome to Feast and Phrase!
I love words. Creative writing, devouring a good book, uncovering the story behind a saying – you name it.
I also love food (who doesn’t?). A veggie eager for culinary adventure, I’m always up for trying different ingredients and cuisines, and learning about the cultures around them.
Feast and Phrase is a fusion of those two passions: a look into how gastronomy and words interact. I’m out to explore everything from food names and international expressions to fictional and non-fictional accounts of general deliciousness.
For starters, check out:
- Why we call oranges ‘oranges’
- Food in English nursery rhymes
- How the process of ‘nixtamalization’ works
- What soldiers ate during the Battle of Waterloo
- The legend of Burma’s ‘Cucumber King’
- Benjamin Franklin’s fascination with food
Have a read and join me on my gastrolexical journeys. Here’s to food, drink, words, and worlds!